2014-07-10

Stop using icons.

I am writing this in the month of July in the year two thousand fourteen of Anno Domini / Common Era.

I was using Google Chrome 35.0.1916.153 and Mac OS X 10.9.4.

I clicked a link in Chrome pointing to a PDF file. The file displayed in a Chrome tab. I just wanted to save it locally. This floating toolbar was in the bottom right corner of the screen.


I recall the era of the 3½ inch floppy disk. As a teenager, I used 5¼ inch floppy disks to load programs into my Atari 800. In the 90s, we used Zip drives and later Jazz drives.

But come on! I had to hesitate far too long hovering over that button (with no tooltip) wondering if it meant what I hoped it meant. I was also anxious it would do something destructive and annoying to reverse.

I think my pause was due to two factors: I had not seen a floppy disk in so long that I was not sure if the silhouette matched one, and I was in disbelief that a modern UI designer would use this image to represent "save".

The only icons I recognize on that toolbar are zoom out and zoom in. I've got a crazy solution. Look at my Gmail message-level toolbar.


No comments:

Post a Comment